||MHLS Tips for Annual Report Questions
Here are some tips and information to help making the process of completing your 2012 annual report easier. New tips will be added to this list as they are uncovered.
- General Information:
- In order to save data, users MUST hit the 'Save' button at the top or bottom of every page before proceeding to another section of the report. Failure to do so may result in lost data.
- Outline of Major Changes for the 2012 Annual Report for Public and Association Libraries
- Expect re-numbering due to questions added or re-ordered from the 2011 Annual Report to the 2012 Annual Report.
- Responses to new questions, for which libraries have not been asked to report statistics before, may be estimated for the first year.
- Getting Started Tutorial
- Finishing Up Tutorial
- Print Copies:
- Print a paper copy of the questions
- Print a paper copy of the instructions
- Printing a subset of questions: You can use the flag icon to compile a group of just certain questions, like the financial questions, to print separately. If your financial numbers are coming from someone other than you, we strongly suggest that you give that person a copy of the questions & instructions that pertain to them in advance. That way they can give you back the info in the form you will need to use it in, rather than them giving you a report that you have to interpret to make it match the questions on the report. To print just certain questions:
- Login to your 2012 Annual Report.
- Select the questions you want by clicking the little flag on the right-hand edge and turning them red
- In the top navigation bar click ‘Status’
- Then select the tab that says ‘Flagged Questions’ and print that page
- Part 1
- 1.45 Unusual Circumstance(s): If your library has experienced any unusual circumstance(s) in 2012 (e.g., natural disaster, fire, closed for renovations, massive weeding of collection, etc.) be sure to answer "yes" to this question as this is the first answer the state looks at when reviewing your annual report so they know to expect it to affect your statistics.
- Part 2:
- 2.13 Electronic Books: If you get an edit check answer it with a note that says "We are building our eBook collection and have added new titles."
- 2.14 Local Databases: The answer for everyone is 6 (which includes Chiltons, Gale Education & Testing, Heritage Quest, Historical New York Times, Mango Languages, TumbleBooks), PLUS any other databases purchased by your county (do not include those supplied by NOVEL).
- 2.17 Other Electronic: The answer provided by MHLS for 2012 was miscalculated, with corrected figures sent out by email on 2/28/13. Here is the corrected number for your library.
- Part 3:
- 3.11 - 3.29 Summer Reading: These answers come directly from the 2012 Summer Reading Report you submitted to MHLS. If you do not have a copy, you can request it from Kerstin.
- Part 4: Circulation - Count Use: If you are one of the few libraries who has self-selected to use 'Count Use' in Millennium, and want that count for your circulation figures, use these directions to get the number(s) through Millennium Reports.
- 4.14 Interlibrary Loan - Materials Received (Borrowed): Includes Millennium system holds (the # of items circulated at your terminal that are not yours) and holds checked out in Millennium using the recommended process of “ILL dummy cards” with ITYPE of ILL. If you use a different method for tracking SEAL and OCLC ILLs received, add that number.
- 4.15 Interlibrary Loan - Materials Provided (loaned):
Includes Millennium system holds and all items checked out to patron records using the recommended process of PTYPE ILL (barcodes for agencies all have ILL PTYPE). If you use a different method for tracking SEAL and OCLC ILLs provided, add that number.
- Part 5:
- 5.6: Computer Use Statistics:
- If you are a SAM library you can pull these statistics from the SAM administration interface. Here is a guide for doing that. Note that the details are a little different for libraries SAM Command PCs. Questions? Contact MHLS Tech Support .
- Only count use of the library's Internet computers - do not include non-Internet AWE stations for children, or wi-fi access using non-library computers.
- Part 9:
- 26 & 27 Computer Speed: Please use this process for answering this question..
- Suggested Improvements:
- On the very last page of the annual reports (called Suggested Improvements) it asks for the ‘Name of Person Completing Form’ and their ‘Phone Number’. Please note that everyone needs to fill out the name and number there, even if you are not suggesting improvements.
| Contacts | Services
| Member Libraries
Board of Trustees | Web
Administration & Management
| Resource Sharing & Millennium
| Reference & Collection
Development | Library Programming
| Professional Development
| Marketing, Advocacy &
Funding | Youth
Services | Trustee Resources