2011 is just a page turn away, here are some tips and "heads-up!" to help you get ready for the New Year!
To all MHLS member library directors: Each library is required to do an annual statistical report online for the Division of Library Development. All reports should be fully submitted by the end of Thursday, February 17, 2011.
What do I need to do now?
Become familiar with the questions that will be asked on the annual report. There is a link in the center of the midhudson.org home page with links to the instructions and questions, so you can see the kind of data you will be asked to report. There is also a link there to the changes since last year.
If your financial numbers are coming from someone other than you, we strongly suggest that you give that person a copy of the questions and instructions (found at midhudson.org) for their section now. That way they can give you back the info in the form you will need to use it in, rather than giving you a report that you have to interpret to make it match the questions on the report.
Directors who are new to submitting a NYS Annual Report online with Bibliostat software, or who want a hands-on refresher, should register for one of the following sessions of the Annual Report Workshop for New Directors. Space is limited! Register at http://calendar.midhudson.org:
- Friday, January 21st:
o 10:00am-noon or
o 1:00 - 3:00pm;
- Wednesday, January 26: 10:00am-noon
- Thursday, February 3rd: 1:00 - 3:00pm
When will I be entering my data into the software?
The annual report software has not yet been turned on by the Division of Library Development. When it is ready for data entry we will send out a notice and add a login link to the center of our homepage. Usernames and passwords are the same from year to year.
Where will I get the data?
Most of the information will come from your library's own documentation (trustee info, program information, financial expenditures, etc...) Some of the information you need to report we will send to you in the delivery in January in a manila envelope labeled "Library Director: Important Annual Report Information", including data for many of the Holdings & Circulation questions from Laurie Shedrick (who will get it from the Millennium system) and some financial information from the MHLS Business Office.
When do I need to be finished?
Please have your report fully submitted by February 17. Funding is not released to any MHLS library until all MHLS annual reports are fully submitted.
State and National Conference Dates:
- Computers in Libraries: March 21-23, Washington, DC
- Youth Services Section Spring Conference: April 29 in Rochester, NY
- American Libraries Association Annual Conference: June 23-28 in New Orleans, LA
- New York Library Association Conference: November 2-5 in Saratoga Springs, NY
Resource Sharing & Millennium
MHLS recommends that staff who work in Millennium review the Resource Sharing Standards regularly, and the beginning of the year is a good time to do this. It can also help new staff in your library that may be unfamiliar with the Resource Sharing Standards get familiar. The Standards are online at http://midhudson.org/resource/general/rsstandards.htm
Marketing, Advocacy & Funding
Library Advocacy Day in Albany: Tuesday, March 1st. Why is it important to travel to Albany to talk with my legislators about library issues?
- Libraries need you to speak out for them.
- Libraries need more state money.
- Legislators need to learn what libraries do for citizens of New York State.
Word-of-Mouth Marketing Experiment: The Marketing Advisory Committee has listened to your feedback and is planning a second year of Word-of-Mouth Marketing System-wide. The big change this year will be a six topic schedule rather than monthly to give member library staff more time to prepare for each topic. For each pairing of months, the first will be devoted to helping member libraries get up to speed on the topic and the second month will be for pushing the message to the public.
- January/February - Library Lovers/State Advocacy Message
- March/April - How Patrons Can Go Green & Save Green @ the Library
- May/June - Practice Tests Database
- July/August - Learn a Language: Mango Languages & language learning audio books
- September/October - Back to School: "no age limit!" (This month will focus on how the public library supports students of all ages do their best at school by promoting the online catalogs, the Health Information Project, and Kids Port to students and teachers)
- November/December - OverDrive audio & eBooks
The 2011 MHLS Performers' Showcase is scheduled for Friday, February 18th. This event is an opportunity to preview performers that may be a good fit for your community.
Member Libraries are welcome to submit items of interest and job openings to the MHLS Bulletin: firstname.lastname@example.org. The MHLS Bulletin is available on line at http://midhudson.org/bulletins/main.htm.