|MHLS Interlibrary Loan Department|
The MHLS Interlibrary Loan Department is responsible for helping member library staff fill patron requests for items that are not in Sierra or SEAL . They also help member library staff borrow MHLS materials from the Professional Collection.
3 Steps to Help Connect Your Patron to the Material They Are Looking For
Follow the 3 Steps in sequence. Through Step 1 you find over 90% of what your patrons are looking for. If not available there, try Step 2, then Step 3.
- Step 1: Member library staff checks the local database - OPAC / Sierra .
- Member library staff helps the patron find it in the library, or place a hold.
- Step 2: Member library staff checks the regional database - SEAL (26 regional catalogs).
- Member library staff places SEAL requests.
- Item is sent by loaning library (via USPS, UPS or MHLS Delivery) to borrowing library.
- When patron is done with item, borrowing library sends it back to loaning library (via USPS or UPS; via MHLS Delivery only if returning to an RCLS library, Vassar or SUNY New Paltz).
- Step 3: Member library staff sends request to MHLS ILL Department in ALA format by paper (print an ILL form in .pdf or in Word so you can type in your entries) or online form.
- Exceptions - before requesting please note:
- As per the MHLS Directors Association, as of 10/1/11 the MHLS ILL Department cannot accept requests for any item readily available for under $25.
- As per the MHLS Directors Association, as of 1/1/09 the MHLS ILL Department cannot accept requests for popular, readily available DVDs and music CDS.
- Items that have been published within the last 6 months are not available for ILL requests.
- MHLS ILL staff places OCLC request.
- Item is sent by loaning library (via USPS or UPS) to MHLS ILL Department. Item comes to borrowing library via MHLS Delivery.
- When patron is done with item, borrowing library sends it back via MHLS Delivery to MHLS ILL Department. Item is sent back to loaning library (via USPS to UPS) by MHLS.
- Renewals: Please remember these items cannot be renewed by the borrowing library. If your patron needs an extension, please contact MHLS ILL (845.471.6060 x224; firstname.lastname@example.org) who can request an extension from the loaning library.
- Journals/Magazines: If a title in not available in Sierra , please also check the electronic journals in HomeACCESS before sending in a request.
Additional ILL policies from the MHLS Resource Sharing standards .
Contact us with questions about ILL practice and procedure in the region and through in the New York State Library Interlibrary Loan (NYSILL).
|Tara Stohr||845.471.6060 email@example.com|
Home | Public Library Catalog | Calendar | Contacts | Services | Bulletins | Member Libraries | MHLS Board of Trustees | Web Site Index
Administration & Management | Resource Sharing & Millennium | Reference & Collection Development | Library Programming | Professional Development | Marketing, Advocacy & Funding | Youth Services | Trustee Resources