2010 Library Lobby Day in Albany: Tuesday, March 2
MHLS Member Library staff, trustees, Friends and patrons are strongly encouraged to attend Library Lobby Day sponsored by the New York Library Association (NYLA). The goal is to show legislators how much people care about libraries by packing the offices at every appointment. With 13 legislators to meet with we need lots of people to come and show their support!
MHLS makes the day as easy as possible by coordinating transportation, making all appointments (schedule coming soon) and leading participants through the day:
What to Expect at Lobby Day or "The Lobby Day Experience":
Lobby Day is an important day for New York's libraries of all types as supporters converge on Albany to present a united front to legislators.
The day involves lots of walking. Wear comfortable shoes and stay hydrated!
Lobby Day activities actually begin the day before, on Monday night:
- Library Advocacy: The Un-Quiet Zone Workshop with Libby Post (Albany)
- at the New Yorkers for Better Libraries PAC Annual Pre-Lobby Day Fundraising Banquet.
If you'd like to stay over the evening before Lobby Day, NYLA has made arrangements for Overnight Accommodations.
Tuesday morning the New York Library Association sets up shop in Meeting Room 6 of the Empire State Plaza:
- Legislative Breakfast Reception (8:00 - 9:30am): NYLA hosts an informal buffet breakfast for legislators and staff to meet with library advocates from around the state in Meeting Room Six in the Concourse of the Empire State Plaza. Legislators are also given the opportunity at this time to have their photos taken for the annual READ posters and bookmarks that are used to promote the Statewide Summer Reading Program.
- It is important that some MHLS Library supporters arrive early enough to attend the breakfast and meet with area legislators who have made time to come to our event. As the day goes on, their schedules are often double booked and this can be your chance to meet with your legislator rather than their staff. We do our best to let you know which legislators have RSVP'd to this event ahead of time.
- Buses arrive between 9:45-10:15am
- As you arrive, if you have time before your first appointment visit Meeting Room 6 for coffee and to meet up with others from MHLS. Bathrooms are across the hall from Meeting Room 6. Otherwise, travel to the Legislative Office Building (LOB) to go to your first appointment. You will need to go through a security checkpoint.
- "Please plan for airport like security measures in place in the New York State Capitol, the Legislative Office Building and its surrounding buildings. Please be prepared to pass through a metal detector and have your belongings go through an X-ray machine to enter. All adults (16+) must show a photo ID to enter, it is recommended that attendees carry a photo ID at all times. In addition, items that are sharp or may be construed as weapons are not allowed in any of the Empire State Plaza buildings. (Including "sticks" attached to Rally signs.)
Due to the security measures and the number of people expected in Albany on Lobby Day, please leave yourself plenty of time to travel between Meeting Room 6 and meetings with legislators." - NYLA
- MHLS Appointment schedule usually begins around @10:30am
- MHLS makes all appointments and distributes them before the 10th.
- MHLS staff is in attendance at all meetings.
- Meetings ususally run for 15-30 minutes. During the meetings we state our case, library supporters are encouraged to speak up and thank legislators for past support and to share current anecdotes about how the system is helping or how patrons are relying on libraries now more than ever.
- You are welcome to attend meetings with legislators other than your own - bodies count!
- Rally and Speeches (11:30am - noon): Library advocates rally in Meeting Room 6 to voice their support for library funding and provide a visual demonstration of the strength of the library community to legislators and their staffs. Various speakers are scheduled (Elected officials, NYLA leaders, etc).
- MHLS meeting schedule continues through the afternoon wrapping up at 3pm.
- Buses leave at 3:30pm.
Questions? Contact Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, MHLS Coordinator for Library Growth & Sustainability (email@example.com or x239)