Word-of-Mouth Marketing Project
Word-of-Mouth Marketing (WOMM) Project Topics & Resources:
October/November/December: MHLS Digital Download Center (OverDrive)
July/August/September: Patrons on the Go!
Patrons taking a road trip and commuters will appreciate knowing that you have audiobooks, ebooks and more to connect them to their library while they are on the move!
April/May/June: Employment Resources
Each county has its own Job Resource Center page that brings together six great resources to help those people who are looking to find jobs or develop their careers. Take some time to explore each resource found on your county's page, access them here:
More information on the six great job resources for patrons, a great way for library staff to learn more:
1. JobNOW / Adult Learning Center from BrainFuse: About JobNOW | Demo on YouTube
2. Job Search materials in OverDrive: Careers, Business, Self Improvement and Computer Technology | Learn how to download ebooks and audiobooks
3. Practice Tests through the GALE Testing & Education Reference Center: What's included in the database | 30-Second Training for Library Staff | 5-Question Training for Library Staff
4. Career Tools through the GALE Testing & Education Reference Center: Guided Tutorial
5. Quick Answers for Patrons on the Go is a web site developed with the help of hundreds of MHLS member library staff. A few years ago we asked for help identifying the most frequently asked reference questions in our libraries. The Quick Answers site pools the questions and shares the answers with everyone.
6.Jobs Express (NYS Department of Labor) See also: Job Tip Videos
January/February/March: Library Advocacy
March: Libraries are Essential
In the Library
How You Can Be Heard (MHLS)
Accucut Hearts - to capture love letters from your patrons to the library!
Posters & Bookmarks (NYLA)
Celebrate Library Lovers' Month downloadable bookmarks
Don't Cut the Heart out of Our Library Card Poster (MHLS)
For your web site or eNewsletter:
How to Love Your Library
Library Champion graphics @ ProtectNYLibraries.org (NYLA)
Add the Library Value Calculator to your library's website! (NYLA)
In Tough Times ad PDF or MS Word (MHLS)
5 Ways to Save @your library (MHLS)
September/October: Back to School - All Ages!
What you have to offer students of all ages:
Resources for getting the word out in September & October:
August: Book Club in a Bag Program's New Online Reservation System
March/April 2011: "Save Green By Going Green @Your Library"
The Marketing Advisory Committee chose this topic to give libraries the opportunity to convey to their communities how cost effective/efficient they are. This also gives libraries an opening to focus more internal attention on sustainable building and operations choices. This helps us transition our advocacy message through the timeline for the passage of the NYS budget and allows for a new "tweak" on the messages we've been using for the past two months that libraries are a good use of public tax dollars:
- Patrons who use libraries "save green" by minimizing the volume of "stuff" they purchase, and "go green" since they reduce what they are having shipped to their home, drive around less to purchase "stuff" and dispose of less "stuff." Check out these videos for more on this:
- Patrons can learn how to live a more sustainable (aka green) lifestyle through the library's collection and programming.See below for a list of display and programming ideas!
- Libraries that have invested funds into sustainable building features (solar, geothermal, daylighting, etc.) can use this opportunity to spotlight themselves as a model for people to learn from and to tout the cost savings earned through the use of these features, reinforcing how well you've used tax payer dollars. If your library is interested in exploring their sustainable facility options, a "Greening Your Library" workshop is planned for April to coincide with the release of the Construction Aid applications. Energy efficient projects are eligible under the construction grant application guidelines.
January/February 2011: Statewide Advocacy Message & Library Lovers Month (February)
For the public:
January - Hudson Valley Reads
February - Library Lovers' Month & 2010 Advocacy Campaign
March - MHLS Digital Download Center: Downloadable Audiobooks
April - Practice Tests database
May is for Mango Languages!
June is for Summer Reading for All Ages
July: Quick Answers - Travel
August: Kids' Port
September: Kids' Catalog
October: Chilton's Auto Repair
Home | Public Library Catalog | Calendar | Contacts | Services | Bulletins | Member Libraries | MHLS Board of Trustees | Web Site Index
Administration & Management | Resource Sharing & Millennium | Reference & Collection Development | Library Programming | Professional Development | Marketing, Advocacy & Funding | Youth Services | Trustee Resources