Continuing Education / Professional Development Advisory Meeting
Minutes from April 10, 2001
10:00 – 1:00
Attended: Sally Alderdice, Merribeth Advocate, Wendy Fuller, Pat Dagata, Lisa LeGloahec, Donna Pidgeon, Nancy Foster (PPLD), Tessa Killian (SENYLRC)
Excused: Denise Garofalo, Carol Donick, Kathleen McLaughlin, Susan Polikoff, Leslie Riley (RCLS)
Absent: John Georghiou
- New program of sharing completed library building projects through tours will begin. Merribeth will contact Arlington and East Fishkill about the library tour program and set the dates. RCLS will be asked to be a partner.
- Merribeth will add committee input on Plan of Service to MHLS draft copy
- CE will arrange a minimum of 1 workshop per year in each of the following categories: reference, resource sharing, public services.
- Linda Crow will facilitate a new roundtable called Offline Libraries Users Group.
- System tours will be directed at ALL directors, trustees and staff, not just “new”.
- CE Committee members that attend the May EmpireLink Ebsco training will make a recommendation to the committee about whether MHLS needs to initiate additional training for this database.
- Deb Horowitz will include tips for FASTCAT as well as GEOWEB in her May Reference workshops.
- Merribeth will contact Maria Hazapis at DLD about getting copies of other System listing of workshops (submitted with the System annual reports) for the committee to view.
- Committee recommended that the VDX Users Group change its name to reflect the other types of resource sharing that are discussed there.
- Merribeth will add a Workshop section to the MHLS website to facilitate sharing of regional training opportunities.
- The committee discussed the importance of good customer service for their growing, diverse groups of library users. Committee recommended that customer service training in diversity be offered for library staff.
The next meeting will be July 18, 2001 from 10am to 1pm at the ALICE CURTIS DESMOND AND HAMILTON FISH LIBRARY on Routes 403 & 9D in Garrison.
Submitted by Merribeth Advocate. 4/16/01