Continuing Education / Professional Development
Advisory Committee Meeting
Alice Curtis Desmond and Hamilton Fish Library in Garrison
July 18, 2001
10:00 – 1:00
Attended: Sally Alderdice, Merribeth Advocate, Lena Smolon, Denise Garofalo, Wendy Fuller, Pat Dagata, Carol Donick, Kathleen McLaughlin, John Georghiou, Nancy Foster, Tessa Killian (SENYLRC)
Excused: Susan Polikoff, Donna Pidgeon, Lisa LeGloahec, Leslie Riley (RCLS)
· 7 - How Marketing Can Breathe New Life into Your Libraries Effectiveness (LAMA Institute - presenter Darlene Weingand)
· 5 - There’s $$$ Out There For You: Writing Grants (presenters: Carol Anne Germain and Gerald Burke of the University at Albany Libraries)
· 5 - Financially empowered – related to annual report info
· 4 -Friends Groups
· 3 - Weeding
· 3 - Customer Service Training in Diversity
· 2 - Census 2000 (presenter Leonard M. Gaines, Ph.D, New York State Data Center)
· 2 - Disaster prevention
· 2 - Library Tours
· 1 - Future Technology
· 1 - Book Repair
· 1 - Safety Workshop for NYS Troopers
· CE Committee recommends to the Central Library / Collection Development Committee that they administer a survey to members to find out what special collections our libraries offer (language, topic, etc).
· As an alternative option for the MHLS System Tours, CE Committee recommends making a video tour of MHLS to share with member employees and trustees, and possibly making that available on the website.
· CE Committee recognizes the value of the audience being able to ask questions at workshops and recommends building into each workshop a time to ask questions.
· CE Committee recommends that MHLS provide a framework for annual report data collection so that reported numbers between member libraries is comparable.
Submitted by Merribeth Advocate, 8/2/01