Central Library / Collection Development Advisory Committee
November 21, 2006

Attending: Jim Cosgrove, Patti Haar, Jessica Maisano, Greg Callahan, Sally Alderdice, Gloria Goverman, Lauren Muffs, Josh Cohen, Merribeth Advocate, Pat Kaufman

Minutes:

  1. Minutes from the September meeting were approved by P. Kaufman and seconded by J. Cosgrove.
  2. Review Action Items:
    1. Trial info passed out for Chiltons
      1. Consensus of committee is to go w/ this starting Jan. 1st. Will appear in HomeAccess.
      2. Questions for vendor: What is the next jump up for # of users? Ask for a screen that says why cannot sign on. Will statistics include turnaways?
    2. Trial info passed out for Antiques databases
      1. Consensus of committee is to ask for best price and go ahead. Will appear in HomeAccess.
      2. Questions for vendor: How long retain entries?
    3. Next Reads
      1. Committee decided they are no longer interested in this. Frees up $9,600 from proposed 2007 Central Library Development Aid budget.
    4. GovSearch
      1. Not interested.
  3. Federated Searching
    1. Sub-committee will meet in January
  4. Survey of Central Library Services
    1. J. Cohen, M. Advocate, T. Lawrence & L. Muffs will meet to further design this.
    2. Issues discussed: What do we want to know? Send to library director, ask them to send to all who do reference. List names of databases funded through Central Library funds.
  5. Central Library Budget
    1. MHLS staff and PPLD staff will meet regarding CL CE curriculum and core competencies.
  6. Large Print Rotating Collection
    1. Based on Action Memo response from member directors, committee decided to charge $150 annually for large print rotating collections and make them available only to small libraries with high needs. Libraries with total materials disbursements of less than half of the average for MHLS libraries are eligible.
  7. BIP / Collection analysis tool
    1. Training will be offered for all libraries through the vendor.

Actions:

  1. The two first meetings for 2007 will be scheduled for February and April.
  2. Federated Searching Sub-committee will meet in January
  3. J. Cohen, M. Advocate, T. Lawrence & L. Muffs will meet regarding the Survey of Cental Library Services
  4. MHLS staff and PPLD staff will meet regarding CL CE curriculum and core competencies.
  5. MHLS will schedule vendor training for BIP and for their Collection analysis tool


Merribeth Advocate