Central Library / Collection Development
Advisory Committee meeting
February 22, 2007
Attending: Patti Haar, Tom Lawrence,
Sue Hermans, Greg Callahan, Josh Cohen, Merribeth Advocate, Jim Cosgrove
Not attending: Pat Kaufman, Gloria
Goverman, John Georghiou, Sally Alderdice, Jessica Maisano
Action Items: action items were reviewed.
Central Library Training Survey
- Survey was piloted by the committee.
Changes suggested by the pilot will be incorporated into the final version
of the survey. To distribute, P. Haar will send a message on the Director's
List Serv on March 1 (See Action 1) that will
be forwarded to their staff. Responses will be due March 16.
Central Library Training Outline:
Committee reviewed revised outline.
- Tips & Trick for Front Desk
Staff will be offered in 5 locations in April. S. Hermans will pilot the curriculum
and refine as necessary.
- Advanced Training for Front Line
Staff will be offered in 5 locations in May-June. Committee suggested the
curriculum be expanded to include advanced OPAC tips.
Central Library E-newsletter
- First issue of the E-newsletter
was previewed. S. Hermans will send announcement MHLS Listserv. A print copy
will be distributed with the Bulletin. (See Action 2)
- CL staff will do an analysis of
Adriance's collection and the system wide collection using Bowkers Books Analysis
System. Results will include a list of what titles need to be bought and who
will buy them. (See Action 3)
- Web management reports: Suggestion
to add to the Millennium Administrator's Toolbox a search for where system
holds were filled by call number - good for non-fiction collection analysis.
(See Action 4)
- 133 hits in January. Committee
reviewed usage statistics by time accessed, make, model & year.
- PriceIt! Antiques & Collectables
- 1/1/07-1/31/07: 166 logins,
505 searches, 140 views
- 2/1/07-2/19/07: 80 logins,
336 searches, 89 views
- Books In Print Professional
- In January was used by 35%
- Marketing & Program Advisory
Committee will be working on promotional rack cards. Committee suggested Chiltons,
PriceIt! and Fiction Connection. (See Action 5)
FAQ web site
- Committee previewed Quick Answers
FAQ web site, developed as part of the Gates Foundation "Staying Connected"
Grant Program. Committee suggested subdividing topics for easier access &
adding keywords that could be searched in the library catalog. Training will
be offered in May highlighting this new resource, and will include participants
identifying additional areas where quick answers are needed.
- Committee previewed a test catalog
record linked to an electronic journal and an electronic portal to all databases.
(See Action 6)
Next meeting, April 10.
- P. Haar will announce the Central
Library Training Survey on March 1.
- S. Hermans will send announcement
of CL E-newsletter to MHLS Listserv.
- CL staff will do an analysis
of Adriance's collection and the system wide collection using Bowkers Books
- L. Shedrick will add collection
development search to the Millennium Administrator's Toolbox.
- Committee suggests Marketing
& Program Advisory Committee create promotional rack cards for Chiltons,
PriceIt! and Fiction Connection.
- MHLS staff will continue to work
with Serials Solutions and database vendors to implement this product satisfactorily.
- There will be an updated CL budget
at the next meeting.