MHLS Marketing & Programs Advisory Committee Meeting

December 15, 2005

 

Attending: Anne Jordan, Midge Quick, Margaret Keefe, Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Carol Corrigan, Barbara Flach, Kara Lustiber, Matt Pfisterer, Barbara Hayman-Diaz, Josh Cohen, Merribeth Advocate

 

Minutes of September 16 meeting: approved by M. Quick, seconded by K. Lustiber

 

OLD BUSINESS

Print Services Update: not available at this meeting

 

Book Discussion in a Bag Initiative

·        Committee agreed:

o       Regardless of the number of participating libraries, all MHLS member library patrons would be eligible to borrow kits.

o       Initially geared for adults.

o       Number of kits needed before launching program: 10-15.

·        Issues discussed: Concept to capture the book groups not currently using the library. Standard of good appearance is essential for good presentation of this initiative. Each kit will contain several copies of one book, but several kits could be used to create a thematic relationship (ex: mysteries or women authors).

·        Committee reviewed report from sub-committee. Committee agreed to the conceptual framework of the report including:

o       Kit contents: 10 books in good condition, print materials (including discussion leader tips, questions, reviews, etc…), tag to promote possible availability of title in other formats.

o       Distribution: Use WebBook in conjunction with the OPAC, kits housed at MHLS.

o       Marketing: Kits will be in cloth bags with zipper top and logo. Branding should include credit to MHLS and to the library putting the bag together (Suggested book plates such: “Enjoy this, from the ____ Library.” “Another great idea from the ____ library.” With credit to read Joint project of the MHLS library system & member libraries.)

·        Committee discussed the various funding possibilities, recommending the following model: individual libraries choose to participate in making up 1 or more kits, using their own funds for materials. They will buy the bag(s) from MHLS. Each will follow project recommendations for consistency, acquire 10 good copies of the title, assemble and laminate the suggested paper auxiliary materials. Some of the copies for the kits may be obtained through donations, if the books are of high quality.

·        Consensus that there is a need for the sub-committee to be ongoing, and that they could make the “detail” decisions necessary to move the project forward, under the conceptual framework of the advisory committee.

·        Timeline:

January:

 

Online Fundraising Options for MHLS-managed web pages

·        Committee reviewed various “giving options” on the model page.

·        Issues discussed: The options cannot be added to members pages unless they have the necessary infrastructure and policies in place. Member libraries need to know the responsibilities / ramifications of the various fundraising elements presented in the model before they are added to their web sites.

·        Committee recommended sending an Action Memo to libraries with MHLS managed web pages, where they will initially choose the fundraising options they would like included, then each will be contacted directly with the next steps necessary to implement their choices. (see Action 2)

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Identifying target groups in the community to focus on

·        Issues discussed: Library programming can bring in new users. Targeting adult programming to specific, well-defined neutral groups can give them a reason to support the library through “yes” votes. The upcoming meeting of community people through the “Getting to Yes” focus groups will result in information about the interests of potential users.

o       At next meeting the committee will designate specific demographic groups to offer this pivotal programming to, using information reported from the focus group sessions.

Marketing tags / slogan

·        Various wording was reviewed by the committee as potential marketing tags / slogans for the libraries.

·        Issues discussed: Avoid “stop words” (like committed) and “dictionary words” (like recreation). Avoid making the library sound intimidating. Avoid making it sound like we are no longer interested in books (ex: Beyond Books, sounds like we have left books behind)

·        Committee recommended: Open-ended wording. Wording that conveys imagery. Something that prompts people to ask. Convey a kid-friendly nature. Concepts liked included:

o       Not just books.

o       ___ Library: The Idea Place

o       Ask us!

o       Want it? We can get it!

o       Why buy when you can borrow?

o       With liberty and library for all.

Millennium & Book Clubs

·        Issues discussed: Book club holds seem to not be moving through Millennium independently. Libraries that place book club holds for their patrons use a variety of different means including initially requesting the items on a library dummy card, then checking them out directly to individuals. Lead-time of a few weeks in placing a book club hold may be necessary to obtain all copies needed.

·        The issue will be forwarded to Laurie Shedrick for clarification. (see Action 3)

Adult Programming

·        Issues discussed: MHLS libraries are requesting information on adult programming: what other libraries are doing, how to get started, lists of places to contact for speakers, a variety of adult options and inexpensive sample programs.

·        Committee recommended promotion of resources on midhudson.org (including education on using the EZ Program Library Database http://midhudson.org/resources/ezprogram.htm both for searching for programs and entering programs), and adult programming suggestions featured regularly in the Bulletin. (see Action 4)

·        Consensus from the committee that the graphic on the EZ Library Program Database makes the product appear only oriented to youth. Recommendation that MHLS change the graphic to make the product look more true to its contents – programs for all ages. (see Action 5)

Meeting room policy discussion

·        Issues discussed: This is a tricky area to handle legally, as it has changed over time. Important to have an up-to-date policy that reflects current best practices of what can and cannot be done. Use can be limited by activity (ex: soliciting), but not by group type (ex. Religious / political). Groups that use the library community room are ripe to be converted to library voters, as they receive direct benefits from the space.

·        Committee reviewed Development Tips from midhudson.org for Meeting Room Use, and requested this be brought to members attention, along with the offer that MHLS will review member libraries meeting room policies upon request.  (see Action 6)

·        Suggested that this could be a good topic theme for an upcoming Across the Board issue.

 

Next meeting: March 16, 2005

 

Handouts

·        Minutes of the 9.16.05 meeting

 

Actions
  1. MHLS staff will collect the names of interested libraries for book discussion kits at the January DA meeting. These libraries will be asked, at this meeting to send in their preferred titles choices to Rebekkah by 1/18
  2. R. Smith will send an Action Memo to libraries with MHLS managed web pages, where they will initially choose the fundraising options they would like included, then each will be contacted directly with the next steps necessary to implement their choices.
  3. L. Shedrick will clarify the issue of book club holds that seem to not be moving through Millennium independently.
  4. MHLS will promote adult programming resources on midhudson.org (including education on using the EZ Program Library Database http://midhudson.org/resources/ezprogram.htm both for searching for programs and entering programs), and include adult programming suggestions regularly in the Bulletin.
  5. MHLS will change the EZ Program Database graphic to an image that is more inclusive of the content.
  6. MHLS will promote Development Tips from midhudson.org for Meeting Room Use.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Report to DA from the 12/15/05 meeting of the MHLS Marketing & Programs Advisory Committee

 

·        A sub-committee met about plans for the ‘Book Discussion in a Bag’ kits. The committee reviewed the issues brought up by the sub-committee and have formalized plans for moving ahead with this initiative.

o       Committee discussed the various funding possibilities, recommending the following model: individual libraries choose to participate in making up 1 or more kits, using their own funds for materials. They will buy the bag(s) from MHLS. Each will follow project recommendations for consistency, acquire 10 good copies of the title, assemble and laminate the suggested paper auxiliary materials. Standard of good appearance is essential for good presentation of this initiative – kits may be made up from good quality donations.

o       MHLS will catalog and house the kits. They will be searchable within the OPAC and booked through MHLS by library staff.

o       At the DA meeting, names of libraries interested in creating a kit will be collected. Interested libraries will submit their preferred title(s) choices for their kit by 1/18.

o       Kits will be due to MHLS by the end of February.

 

·        An Action Memo will be sent to libraries with MHLS managed web pages, where they will initially choose the fundraising options they would like included, then each will be contacted directly with the next steps necessary to implement their choices.

 

·        MHLS will be promoting the resources available to help libraries with information on adult programming: what other libraries are doing, how to get started, lists of places to contact for speakers, a variety of adult options and inexpensive sample programs.

 

·        Committee reviewed Development Tips for Meeting Room Use at http://midhudson.org/department/member_information/library_policies.htm, and requested this be brought to members attention, along with the offer that MHLS will review member libraries meeting room policies upon request.

o       This is a tricky area to handle legally, as it has changed over time. Important to have an up-to-date policy that reflects current best practices of what can and cannot be done. Use can be limited by activity (ex: soliciting), but not by group type (ex. Religious / political). Groups that use the library community room are ripe to be converted to library voters, as they receive direct benefits from the space.