of the Marketing & Programs Advisory Committee
Present: R. Smith Aldrich,
M. Keefe, A, Jordan, K. Lustiber, M. Pfisterer, M. Quick
Guests: M. Advocate, J.
Cohen, B. Haymann-Diaz
Minutes of March meeting
Motion: 1st: M.
Quick, 2nd: A. Jordan
- Don’t Know What to Read? Slips: R. Smith Aldrich reported that a flyer template
was developed and disseminated: printable template available on the
Marketing & PR web site
[http://midhudson.org/funding/marketing/main.htm]; customized slips were
given to each member library with a web page hosted by MHLS.
- Print Services Update
- R. Smith Aldrich reported that the sign to
promote new titles as available through Request-a-Title is in the print
services department queue.
- R. Smith Aldrich disseminated revised wording
for the three proposed HomeACCESS signs, ACTION: Committee members
should review the proposed text and send suggestions/revisions to
- Getting to Yes LSTA Grant Update/Focus Group
Report: The committee reviewed
a report from GTY grant coordinator, Kirstin Litwin, that describes the
project and summarized the recently held focus groups around the system.
Committee attention was drawn to the need for libraries to target yes
voters and the role they might play in the coming year to assist member
libraries target segments of their service population.
- Library web pages and fundraising
- R. Smith Aldrich reported that a survey of MHLS
member library web sites revealed that very few member libraries have an
online donation component; none have credit card processing capabilities.
- R. Smith Aldrich reported on online donation
options found on library web sites outside of MHLS (i.e. PayPal, Shop for
the Library, Amazon Associates, VeriSign, eTapestry web services).
- The committee discussed how to inform directors
of these options. ACTION: At the November DA meeting Rebekkah will
provide a demonstration of online donation options – a menu of all
options explained should be distributed as well as a mock up of a default
donation page with the options integrated.
- Small Library Roundtable Discussion re:
- Committee reviewed the tips that came out of
this meeting in June 2005 and some of the trends as they apply to smaller
- Discussion of how to disseminate info that
comes out of the SLRT: offer notes/handouts on the director’s list to all
that are interested; MHLS staff proactively calling and offering to come
and speak; libraries that participate calling a neighboring small library
and promoting a visit from MHLS staff on the topic.
- Book Discussion Groups
- How to use book groups to reach out to segments
of the community that don’t usually come to the library:
- M. Quick reported on a program she has been planning
– book discussion in a bag to help people run book programs in their
own homes as this has become a popular activity across the country that
is in a format that bypasses the local library.
- K. Lustiber/M. Quick: could their be a
system-wide collaboration of many libraries developing “book group to go
kit” that could be shared:
- What would be included in the kit?
- Uniform bag, zipped
- X number of books; questions; recipes; tips
fro running a book group
- Duplicate/master list of handouts
- Policies of use: which libraries are
participating? Can patrons from libraries that don’t participate borrow
them?; what would happen if a book was lost?; borrowing policy; length
of loan period; how to book them, how far in advance
- How to fund this initiative: Pay into a fund
and MHLS develops; each library develops their own and they are
centrally held at MHLS; Built from what libraries already have.
- ACTION: Committee recommends that this idea be
brought to the DA to find out how many libraries would be interested and
to decide next steps based on the level of interest.
- Future of the Committee
- A. Jordan reported to the committee on a
meeting held to discuss the future advisory committee structure after the
September DA meeting. Anne shared that she feels the committee does not
accomplish much and that the mission is unclear.
- Committee members felt it was unclear they were
charged with communicating between the advisory committee and their
- The committee discussed the relationship
between themselves and their county groups and agreed that they should
ask that reports to/from the committees be permanent agenda items at the
- J. Cohen made the point that in order for the
committee to be more effective, more action items need to be generated
from the committee to the DA to remain viable and useful. Also discussed
the need for the committee to address standards in marketing and
programming for member libraries to measure themselves against.
o The Committee reviewed:
committee mission (http://midhudson.org/MHLS/committee/program/mission.htm)
To move forward next year the committee will work toward gathering
county input to bring to the committee; to report back to the DA more
effectively and to focus our efforts on helping members target more specific segments
of their populations to go hand-in-hand with the Getting to Yes grant.
The committee asked to stay at 4 meeting per year with the option to
cancel up to 2 if there is not enough to warrant an in-person meeting.
ACTION: For next meeting – committee members will brainstorm with their
county groups to identify target groups for the committee to focus on next
o Possible end-product for
next year will include step-by-step ideas to address outreach to identified
target groups so that it is easier for libraries to integrate outreach to these
groups into their day-to-day efforts.
Tasks for MHLS Staff:
R. Smith Aldrich will
prepare a demo for the November Director’s Association of online donation
options, including a handout that describes each option.
R. Smith Aldrich will
offer copies of notes from the Small Libraries Roundtable on the Director’s
Tasks for Committee Members:
Committee members will
seek to get on the agenda of their county meetings on a regular basis to
promote communication between the county groups and MHLS advisory committees.
Committee members will
attend their next county meetings and ask the group to identify target groups
within their communities for the committee to focus on next year. Committee
members will report back at the December 15th meeting.
Review the revised
HomeACCESS signage wording and send responses to Rebekkah.
Report to DA:
1) In light of the trend of book discussion groups that
are being held in our communities outside of libraries, the Committee discussed
the potential for “Book Discussion Group To-Go” kits that some libraries are
already putting together, to be centrally held by MHLS, bookable by member
libraries on behalf on their patrons to maximize the outreach potential of this
service. The Committee would like to know how many libraries would be
interested in this.
2) The Committee reviewed online donation options for
member library web sites. A demonstration of the options is proposed for the
November Director’s Association meeting.
3) Committee members will be attending each county
director’s meeting or contacting their counties by email to create a list of
segmented target groups with member library service populations. This
information will be used in the coming year for the committee to discuss outreach
strategies for different target groups.
Don’t Know What to
Text for the HomeACCESS
Getting to Yes Grant
summary/focus group summary
Roundtable: June Notes
Next Meeting: December 15,
Submitted by Rebekkah Smith
Aldrich, September 23, 2005