Resource Sharing, Automation & ILL Advisory Committee Minutes
October 21, 2002

Present: Committee: C. Briggs (Hillsdale), S. Long (East Fishkill), B. Snyder (Palenville), G. Thorpe (Cold Spring); MHLS: J. Cohen, S. DiLorenzo, K. O'Brien, L. Shedrick ; Guests: N. Foster (PPLD), J. Huen (PPLD), T. Lawrence (PPLD)
Absent: W. Alexander (Rosendale), D. Pulice (Pleasant Valley),

Materials Distributed: Agenda, OPAC Summit design

Committee Business
A. Fill chair. Sonia Long volunteered to chair, filling position vacated by Laurie Shedrick.
B. New Ulster County member. The Ulster County Directors' Association will be contacted to name a replacement for vacancy on committee.

Topics Discussed
Old Business:
·Automation Circulation Initiative
Recent libraries to come online with III are Phoenicia and Putnam Valley. Libraries that will be coming online are Rhinecliff, Athens, Greenville, Catskill, Palenville, West Hurley and West Shokan. Germantown and Claverack are considering coming online in the near future. Training sessions are underway at many of these libraries.
·System holds
L. Shedrick has been testing the "in transit" problem for three days and has not been able to duplicate the problem. III says that the local preference is working as it should be. This option has been turned on. L. Shedrick felt that there are two ways that this could be occurring: either the patron has canceled the hold or that the home agency has changed the order of the holds. Now that this option has been turned back on, L. Shedrick has posted a message to the listserve urging everyone to report any problems with the "in transit" problem as soon as it occurs so MHLS can troubleshoot any further occurrences. The committee also felt it was necessary to remind everyone that bib level holds should be placed rather than item level holds if you are trying to get your copy of a certain book back when it is checked in. If you place an item level hold, this is treated as a lower level hold than all the bib level holds on that title. Another method of getting your book back would be to insert a pop-up message on your item that will appear on check-in.
·Multiple item sets
The committee felt it was necessary to again stress that multipart sets that circulate in the same container should only have one barcode. If a library feels the need to track the individual parts, they should be using the Message field that can be tailored to say, "Check for 3 sound discs", etc. at check-in and checkout.
·OPAC
The committee looked at the design for a new OPAC search screen that was the product of the Summit meeting held October 16th at Adriance Memorial Library. PPLD, Beacon Library, Beekman library, East Fishkill Library, Rhinebeck Library and Woodstock library were represented. They looked at OPACs for a variety of libraries who migrated from GEAC to III. Based on what they saw, they made several suggestions that they would like incorporated into our OPAC. These included:
1. Left to right design.
2. Unify nomenclature.
3. Search help button early in the search process.
4. Quick search without a drop down menu.
5. "Or" between the boxes or a "Select one to search by" to clarify that all boxes should not be filled in.
6. Minimize color in search box to make other parts more distinguishable.
7. Move PIN Button further into the search process.
8. Using a drop down menu for Genre searches. The committee felt that this would be too problematic, since this list would be very long and it would be misleading to not have a complete list if this option was implemented. Another option that could be implemented would be a hot link for some of the genres that could appear on the library home page.
9. Showing the actual barcode when a patron enters their card number rather than showing the asterisks so the patron would know if they made a typo.

New Business
·ILL User's group meeting recap
The name of the VDX product has been changed to SEAL. The VDX Rota has not been changed. This is the list of libraries to target for holds. Once again, everyone is reminded that this Rota does not target the materials from offline libraries. Training sessions for SEAL will be announced. S. DiLorenzo was approached about doing this training, but declined so training for new users will be held at Southeastern. S. DiLorenzo and J. Fishetti will do refresher trainings for each county. The committee wanted some statistics about its use since system holds have replaced much of these requests. It was also stressed that directors should be reminded that staff should be checking these requests on a regular basis.
·ILL Code
The committee was asked to review the RIC committee document on ILL code. The committee did not agree with the general tone of the document. They felt it was very negative in tone. They also feel that the language needs to be clearer and that many inconsistencies in wording need to be cleared up. One area of concern was the responsibility of the home library when the hold is filling a patron-initiated request vs. a library-initiated request. Another major area of concern was the problems with RCLS in accepting requests from MHLS. The committee feels that the concepts of direct consortia borrowing and the definition of electronic borrowing need to be clarified. At the present time, RCLS has implemented a policy of only accepting electronic requests. They will no longer accept the ALA form or any other paper requests. MHLS's position is that the patron should come first and that the format of the request should be flexible. S. DiLorenzo was asked to note some of the changes on the document and bring it back to the next RIC meeting.
The committee feels that we need to retrieve some useful statistics for what borrowing is being done with SEAL. At present, these statistics cannot be broken down by format and retrieved from SEAL. L. Shedrick is going to investigate what can be retrieved from III to determine what RCLS is actually borrowing from MHLS for a sample month
·Patron registration cards
The committee feels that a new design that better reflects data entry on III is needed. L. Shedrick will design a mock up for the Directors Association meeting.
·Use of Patron APATID in III records
It has been noted that many records being added to the system do not contain this field. The purpose of the APATID was to help keep duplicate patron records off the system. The committee felt it was necessary to contact libraries not using this field and ask them to upgrade the records that do not currently have this field and make sure they know how to properly add them to records in the future.

III updates
·Status on open calls
At present the most important problems are the lack of authority records in the scoped library catalogs, the problem with items printing twice on paging slips, the problem with templates for item entry reverting to the wrong agency in the middle of data entry, inability to link patrons, and the prioritizing of items in the transaction file. [Note: When the transaction file starts to back up, a problem with the system running slow and/or freezing will be seen.] The committee suggests that there should be more communication about the status of open calls and that possibly a section could be added to the web page to keep this information more current than the III status reports that are being distributed.
·Phase II upgrade
This is currently scheduled for early November. At that point it will be necessary for all libraries to upgrade the version of Java they are using and to update their OCIRC client. Release notes for this upgrade will be available.
·Acquisitions
Three libraries, PPLD, Beacon, and Mahopac, will be using this module. MHLS will contact III to set up their accounting units.
·Printing overdue notices and bills in member libraries
Currently this procedure is being tested in Kent library. The major problem that has occurred is a problem with page length when using a laser printer. If an individual library does not need to mail their overdue notices, that library can now begin to print their own overdue notices to use for phone calls. Once the procedure for any library to do this printing is in place, there will be some lead-time for libraries to decide if and when they want to switch over to their own printing. Other concerns expressed by the committee were whether the phone number should be added to overdue notices and whether the call number could be easily added to the overdue notice so that the shelf could be checked for the books.
·Call numbers in web management reports
The categories for call numbers have been expanded to include more breakdowns and a better description of each breakdown. It should be noted that if the call numbers in your library have unique prefixes, etc., you may be seeing these totals in the undefined line because they do not match the breakdowns that were used.


Next committee meeting: TBA
Minutes recorded by Karen O'Brien October 22, 2002

ACTIONS

The committee recommends that local preferences remains turned on and that member libraries provide input to MHLS when problems occur.

The committee recommends that MHLS contact libraries still barcoding individual parts of multi-item sets to minimize the problems with holds on these items and other issues involved in checking out and checking in these items at other member libraries.

The committee recommends that the new design for the OPAC that was the result of the summit meeting be implemented after a few minor changes.

The committee recommends that the directors review the document for ILL Code and discuss problems as pointed out by this committee. The revisions will be brought back to the RIC committee meeting at Southeastern.

The committee recommends that a new prototype for patron registration cards be designed.

The committee recommends that all libraries continue the use of the patron APATID.