|| Responsibilities of Members of Advisory
Responsibilities | Chair and Vice Chair Responsibilities
Responsibilities of MHLS Advisory Committee Members:
- Fully participate in committee
activities by attending meetings and conducting business by telephone and
- Act in good faith and in accordance
with what they believe to be in the best interest of the members and resources
of the Mid-Hudson Library System.
- Problem solve as a group.
- Publicly disclose any actual or
perceived conflicts of interest and not vote on such committee matters.
- Be aware of (through attendance,
review of minutes), and able to discuss issues directed to the committee by
the Directors Association.
- Decide as a group what the chair
will report on at the Director's Association meeting.
- Represent their county and bring
committee issues to that forum.
of the MHLS Advisory Committee Chair and Vice Chair:
The advisory committee chair and
vice chair, working in partnership, are responsible to facilitate the work
of the committee, provide oversight and ensure timely communications
within the committee and between the committee and the other components of the
Mid-Hudson Library System. To do this they:
- Prepare the agenda including topics
of current concern as well as topics that have been referred to the committee.
- Keep the work of the committee
focused on charges from the Executive Director and the Directors Association,
and aligned with the MHLS Plan of Service.
- Keep the groups attention
focused on what needs to be done.
- Keep discussions on track:
periodically restate the issue and the goal of the discussion.
- Guide, mediate, probe and stimulate
- Direct the group and manage
the problem solving process.
- Use well placed questions,
seek points of information and clarification, and periodically summarize
to keep the discussion focused.
- Help to resolve conflict.
- Establish relationships among
committee members ideas.
- Promote group discussion by
asking for facts, opinions and suggestions.
- Monitor participation: control
talkative members and draw out silent members.
- Ensure that the meeting stays
on schedule, that breaks are taken, and that the meeting adjourns on time.
- Close the meeting by noting achievements.
- Review action items from the previous
meeting and ensure completion.
Additional Responsibilities of
- Give committee meeting report
at Directors Association meetings. If the chair will not be at the DA meeting,
it is their responsibility to arrange with another committee member to give
the committee meeting report.
Additional Responsibilities of
the Vice Chair:
- Ensure the committee actions and
achievements can be tracked through minutes.
- Send minutes to be posted to the website.
- Get those items that the committee
decided to send to the DA into the DA meeting packet.
| Contacts | Services
| Member Libraries
Board of Trustees | Web
Administration & Management
| Resource Sharing & Millennium
| Reference & Collection
Development | Library Programming
| Professional Development
| Marketing, Advocacy &
Funding | Youth
Services | Trustee Resources