The advisory committee chair and vice chair, working in partnership, are responsible to facilitate the work of the committee, provide oversight and ensure timely communications within the committee and between the committee and the other components of the Mid-Hudson Library System. To do this they:
- Prepare the agenda including topics of current concern as well as topics that have been referred to the committee.
- Keep the work of the committee focused on charges from the Executive Director and the Director's Association, and aligned with the MHLS Plan of Service.
- Keep the groups attention focused on what needs to be done.
- Keep discussions on track: periodically restate the issue and the goal of the discussion.
- Guide, mediate, probe and stimulate discussion.
- Direct the group and manage the problem solving process.
- Use well placed questions, seek points of information and clarification, and periodically summarize to keep the discussion focused.
- Help to resolve conflict.
- Establish relationships among committee members ideas.
- Promote group discussion by asking for facts, opinions and suggestions.
- Monitor participation: control talkative members and draw out silent members.
- Ensure that the meeting stays on schedule, that breaks are taken, and that the meeting adjourns on time.
- Ensure designated user group reports are given at the meeting
- Close the meeting by noting achievements.
- Review action items from the previous meeting and ensure completion.
Additional Responsibilities of the Chair:
Additional Responsibilities of the Vice Chair:
- Ensure the committee actions and achievements can be tracked through minutes.
- Send draft of minutes to committee for review, then post to web site 1 week later.
- Get those items that the committee decided to report on to the DA, into the DA meeting packet.
- Annually summarize the actions and accomplishments of the committee for distribution to the DA.