The spring MHLS Trustee education series is coming to a close but there are resources available to tide you over until the fall series begins.
Check out this series of 10-15 minute presentations from Helping All Trustees Succeed (HATS). Each gives a quick overview of critical information that all trustees need to know.
- Libraries in NY: Origin, Oversight & Organization
- Open Meetings Law
- Role of a Board President
- The Public Library Treasurer
- Board Evaluation
- Director Evaluation
- Strategic Planning
HATS was created thanks to a collaboration of key players in the New York library community: The State Library, the Library Trustee Association of New York (LTA), the New York Library Association (NYLA) and the Public Library Systems Directors Organization (PULISDO), were joined by hundreds of trustees and library directors from around New York State to help shape the content.
There is still time to register for Advanced Level Trustee Education: Strategic Thinking: Advocacy & Planning Workshop on Tuesday, May 21 from 5:30-8:30pm in the MHLS Auditorium.
This advanced-level course is for trustees who have been on the board for at least a year. It is recommended that trustees have already attended the Trustee Essentials workshop prior to this one.
In this workshop trustees will:
- Come to better understand the perception of libraries in today’s world;
- Work to identify community stakeholders; discuss effective community engagement techniques; and receive an overview of responsive planning opportunities; and
- Receive an introduction to key advocacy strategies