New York Library Association’s Advocacy Day
Wednesday, February 25th, 2015
Each year library advocates, just like you, from across New York State converge on Albany to voice their support to State Legislators for funding and policies that benefit libraries. Our efforts have resulted in over $7 million in additional library aid since 2011!
LIBRARIES ARE EDUCATION
Our budgetary advocacy priorities for 2015:
1) Fully fund state library aid at $102.6 million as mandated in state Education Law. Currently funding sits at $85.6 million.
2) Increase library aid each year in proportion to the increase in general education funding. Total education spending in last year’s enacted budgeted increased 5.7%, but library aid increased only 1.2%.
Current library aid is at 1997 levels. Despite the stewardship and dedication of libraries across the state, it is becoming increasingly difficult to provide 21st century library services with 20th century funding. Libraries and library systems are models of shared services and collaborative planning. According to the State Education Department, local communities realize $7 in services for every $1 allocated to state library aid. That’s a HUGE return on investment!
Do you think libraries are essential? Do you think the Mid-Hudson Library System’s services are critical to the success of your local library? If you answered with a hearty YES! then please plan to join us in Albany on Wednesday, February 25th.
Register online – How to register depends on how you plan to get to Albany on February 25th:
Driving to Albany on Your Own?
1. Register through MHLS: Details and the day’s schedule will be emailed to you.
2. Directions & Parking Information are available on NYLA’s web site
Taking the bus?
MHLS partners with our neighbor, the Ramapo Catskill Library System (RCLS), to provide bus transportation with multiple stops along the New York State Thruway on Advocacy Day. Briefings & Advocacy Day Tips will be provided on the way. Your bus will arrive in Albany in time for our first legislative appointments.
- Register through RCLS: Registration and Payment deadline is February 18.
- Complete the registration form at the link above and send a check for $12 payable to “RCLS” to Ruth Daubenspeck – RCLS – 619 Route 17M – Middletown, NY 10940-4395.
Bus Stops & Departure Times:
- Newburgh (Newburgh Mall): 7:30am
- New Paltz (Thruway Exit 18 Parking Lot): 7:45am
- Kingston (Quality Inn near Thruway Exit 19): 8:15am
- Catskill (Thruway Exit 21 Parking Lot): 8:40am
Bus leaves Albany at 3:30pm