MHLS has again secured a group discount with Movie Licensing USA (MLUSA) according to the terms below for libraries that wish to continue or join the MHLS group buy. Libraries that wish to purchase a new license or renew an existing license from Movie Licensing USA through the MHLS group discount should email Library Sustainability Coordinator, Casey Conlin at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20th. MHLS will invoice your library for the cost of the license based on the rates provided by MLUSA.
To screen movies at library programs and other library events in compliance with copyright regulations the library must secure the necessary public performance license. In some cases, more than one license may be required to secure the rights for all the movies and programs the library plans to screen. There are two companies commonly used by MHLS member libraries that provide this type of license, Movie Licensing USA (MLUSA) and Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC), and libraries should be sure that the licenses they’ve purchased secure the rights needed. Of note for libraries with current licenses with MLUSA is an addition to the current licensing agreement which provides rights for outdoor screenings of a number of movies without the purchase of an additional license normally required for public screenings outside the library building.
Movie Licensing USA (MLUSA):
- Information including what movies and titles are covered is available on their website.
- Click here for rates for each library based on service population. Please note, MHLS libraries that have maintained a long-standing and current license with MLUSA may have a lower rate than the most recently offered rate. If those libraries are continuing to license through Movie Licensing USA directly, joining the group-buy will not provide a better rate.
- MHLS will invoice your library for the cost of the license.
- If you’re not sure whether you are part of previous MLUSA group buys with MHLS or have a current license with, you can contact Casey Conlin.
Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC):
- Information including what movies and titles are covered by this license is available on their website.
- Rates are based on your library’s service population.
- Libraries interested in purchasing a license from MPLC can contact MPLC directly.