Every library employee encounters difficult patrons and users from time to time. Whether it’s a troublesome group of teenagers, a loud patron, an angry or even dangerous person, the experience of dealing with someone unpleasant is common for staff in libraries of just about all sizes and types.
Please join us for Dealing with Difficult Patrons, a group viewing of the ALA webinar by Dr. Steve Albrecht. Wednesday, October 14 from 2:30 – 4:00pm.
Register through the MHLS online calendar to attend this live webinar at one of the following locations:
(105 Market St., Poughkeepsie 12601)
●Saugerties Public Library
(91 Washington Ave., Saugerties 12477)
●Mahopac Public Library
(668 Route Six, Mahopac 10541)
In this group viewing of the live ALA webinar, library safety and security expert Steve Albrecht will show you how you can deal with these problem patrons effectively, efficiently, and without creating major disruptions in your library environment. Library employees at all levels will learn strategies for dealing with such patrons and effectively diffusing challenging situations.
• Developing a security plan and consistent responses for all situations
• Understanding the need for security thinking in the “new” library environment
• How to more accurately define workplace violence, its perpetrators, and types of threats
• Enforcing Library Codes of Conduct
• Providing “high-risk” customer service
• Interacting more effectively with law enforcement
• Using realistic communication tools that work for all patrons