The mission of United for Libraries is to support citizens who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries.
United for Libraries has the specific responsibility for:
- Educating through a continuing and comprehensive program for library Trustees to enable them to discharge their responsibilities in a manner best fitted to benefit the public and the libraries they represent.
- Encouraging and assisting the formation of and development of Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations.
- Providing a means for Trustees to have access to information and ideas that will prove useful to them in the governance of their libraries.
- Providing Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations access to information and ideas that will prove useful to them in fundraising, library promotion and the operation of their organizations.
- Promoting strong state and regional Trustee and Friends of Library organizations.
- Providing to all who value libraries the materials and support they need to be effective advocates for their libraries on the local, state and national levels.
- Making the public aware of the existence of formalized citizen groups such as Trustees, Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations and the services they perform to encourage and develop expanded citizen participation in the support of libraries across the country.